Three Reeds Duo
2018 International Woodwind Duo Symposium : April 13-14, 2018
2018 World Saxophone Congress in Zagreb Croatia : July 2018
With co-founders Leah and Paul Forsyth, the Three Reeds Duo is a unique ensemble consisting of solely an oboe and saxophone. This duo, formed in 2005, has begun building a repertoire ranging from baroque and classical transcriptions to contemporary concert literature. Three Reeds has performed in a variety of venues throughout the United States and the U.K., ranging from NASA Conferences and World Saxophone Congresses to traditional wedding ceremonies.
In 2015, Three Reeds was the winner of the Alford Professorship at Northwestern State University, where they are both professors on their respective instruments. This professorship allowed them to record their debut CD, signals cross. Released in the summer of 2016, this is the first CD ever recorded of oboe/saxophone duos. The Three Reeds Duo has commissioned works for oboe/saxophone duo from such composers as Gregory Wanamaker, Marcus Maroney, Kyle Blaha, and Thomas Hundemer. signals cross is available for purchase by clicking HERE and sending us an email, Blue Griffin, or by download through iTunes.
Three Reeds has commissioned works from the following composers:
- Kyle Blaha (signals cross) is currently the director of Making Score, an award-winning composers workshop through the New York Youth Symphony, and is on faculty at the Julliard School. Dr. Blaha is a graduate of the Cincinnati Conservatory and of the Julliard School.
- Thomas Hundemer (Three Reed Suite) is currently Principal Horn in the Shreveport Symphony Orchestra and Lecturer of Music at Centenary College in Shreveport, Louisiana.
- Marcus Maroney (Pastorale) is currently Assistant Professor of Music at the University of Houston. Dr. Maroney has received numerous awards and fellowships for his compositions. He holds degrees from the University of Texas and Yale. Dr. Maroney has written an excellent duo for clarinet/saxophone entitled Chamaeleon II. Recently, he has just finished a saxophone quartet commissioned by the Iridium Quartet that was premiered in Puerto Rico in October of 2011.
- NEW* Alyssa Morris (Duo Displasia) is a well-known oboist and composer. Alyssa has been commissioned to write music for the Arizona State University faculty wind quartet, the Eastern Kentucky University faculty wind trio, Brigham Young University's Sundance Trio, Ohio University's Athenia Chamber Ensemble, a consortium of bassoonists through Trevco Music Publishing, and the Brigham Young University Symphonic Band.
- NEW* Peter Lieuwen has been commissioned, performed, and recorded by orchestras, small ensembles and artists throughout the Americas, Europe and Asia. Currently on the faculty at Texas A&M University, Peter has agreed write a duo for Three Reeds to be premiered at the 2018 World Saxophone Congress in Zagreb, Croatia.
- Richard Rose (The Journey) is a retired Professor of Music from Northwestern State University. Formerly the principal cellist in the Lake Charles Symphony and the Rapides Symphony, Mr. Rose was degrees from the University of Louisville and Florida State University. He has also written Sonata for alto saxophone.
- Gregory Wanamaker (Duo Cadenza) is currently Professor of Composition and Music Theory at the Crane School of Music, SUNY Potsdam. His music has been commissioned and performed all over the world, most recently in 2011 by the Society for New Music. Wanamaker is no stranger to the saxophone world having written several works for saxophone, saxophone quartet, and mixed chamber ensembles.